recipe: my cold-killing 6-ingredient broccoli cheddar soup

Monday, February 12, 2018
I was traveling for work last week, and I have been feeling a scratch in my throat since long before then. But when I was at the grocery store on Saturday evening I was feeling positively yucky. Not sick, exactly, but yucky... and in this flu season, I'm not taking any risks.

Time for my cold-killing soup. I've made this soup so many times since Pat and I were both sick one day back in the fall. I add extra garlic when we're feeling extra gross – between that, the onion and the chicken stock, this soup kicks anything gross out of our systems before it takes hold and when we're already sick, clears our sinuses and makes us both feel infinitely better.

My preference is to serve this with warm bread fresh from the bread machine, but it's delicious on its own, too, and great for leftovers for days!

INGREDIENTS

• 1 bag of frozen broccoli florets, finely chopped
• 1 whole yellow onion, finely chopped
• 4 cups of chicken stock (I make my own with Penzey's soup base)
• 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
• 2-3 cloves of minced garlic
• 1 8 oz. bag of shredded sharp cheddar

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a stock pot, combine your chicken stock, diced onion, broccoli and minced garlic over medium heat. Usually, I add the chicken stock and turn the stove on, and then chop the broccoli and onion in my food processor and press the garlic (or use jarred garlic) while the stock heats some. This isn't necessary, though.

If you like salt and pepper, feel free to season to taste. I sprinkle some in, but usually negligible amounts. 

2. Allow to simmer for 15 or so minutes, with the lid on. 

3. Lower the heat and then stir in the evaporated milk and about 3/4 of the bag of cheddar. (I save a little for the end, to sprinkle on top of the soup!) 

4. Using a whisk, mix the cheese in until the soup starts to turn a little yellow. 

5. Cook at a lower heat for 15 minutes.

6. Serve with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.

COST BREAKDOWN

Y'all know this is my favorite section.

• 1 bag of frozen broccoli florets, finely chopped - $2.50
• 1 whole yellow onion, finely chopped - $0.25
• 4 cups of chicken stock (I make my own with Penzey's soup base) - $2.19 for 32 oz.
• 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk - $0.99
• 2-3 cloves of minced garlic - 1 head for $0.59
• 1 8 oz. bag of shredded sharp cheddar - $2.99 (less if you get it on sale at Harris Teeter)

All of the ingredients are $9.51, and this makes about 6 servings. That breaks it down to $1.59 per serving. Sold!


•••

What are your go to recipes or meals when you're feeling the funk settle in?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top