my 2018 new year's resolutions

Monday, January 01, 2018

Happy New Year, y'all! It's time to talk my favorite thing: New Year's Resolutions!

I LOVE New Year's resolutions. I mean, I love them. This is my favorite time of year, and setting resolutions for myself and starting 2018 with a clean slate is a huge motivator for me to get up and get moving after Christmas is over. If nothing else, New Year's resolutions really help cut out the Christmas-is-over sadness!

I was just telling a coworker that I consider New Year's resolutions to be a long to do list for, well, the new year – not lofty goals I can't achieve. I try to make everything achievable and trackable, and maybe in 2018, I won't forget about my resolutions right after I make them. Maybe. 2017 was a fluke.

This year, I have thought a lot about what I want to focus on and have divided my resolutions into five categories of my life that I think are most important. I'll continue to set monthly goals for myself that will get me closer to achieving my 2018 resolutions, and I have little mini goals / mileposts for each resolution so I can hold myself accountable.

Yes, I take resolutions very seriously.

I've got five categories of resolutions this year, but I am not sharing all of them and only posting the full roundup on my vision board and in my bullet journal – not that I don't want to share with y'all, but you don't need to know everything, right? ;)

2017's Resolutions

Read. 

Goal: I will read one book a week, or 52 books in 2017.
Goal: I will read 30 minutes every day.
Goal: I will finish the Game of Thrones books before the next TV season is released.
Goal: I will read a classic novel that I've avoided until now. (There are a lot to choose from!)

I blew my reading goal for 2017 out of the water! That is one thing I almost always can do, easily. This past year I read 72 books, or a book every 5 and a half days or so. I barely read at all in the second half of the year – I did most of my reading before we adopted Theo, needless to say, and on plane rides!

I didn't read 30 minutes a day consistently. Some days, I'd read for hours – and then I'd go a straight week without touching a book. I want to be more consistent in 2018! 

And I didn't finish the last Game of Thrones book or read a classic novel... but honestly, I think I'm OK with that. 

Write.

Goal: I will blog at least twice a week.
Goal: If I don't blog that day, I will journal instead. 
Goal: I will participate in NaNoWriMo in November, and I will finish.
Goal: I will review the books that I read.

I'll start with my celebration: I did participate in NaNoWriMo, and I did finish! Woo! I'm starting on the editing process in January so I can actually have something worth reading and possibly even publishing in the future and so I can work on the sequel in November 2018.

As for my other writing goals... well. I stopped blogging pretty early on in the year – I just ran out of things to talk about! – but picked it back up in June and was pretty steady with it until December started and life got crazy. I called it an extended hiatus and didn't push myself to write, and I am certain my blog and my life are all the better for it.

Learn.

Goal: I will take more photos with my DSLR.
Goal: I will learn hand lettering. (There's a great book I'm eyeing on Amazon!)
Goal: I will take a SkillPop class the next time I'm able to in Charlotte. (Maybe for handlettering?)

Let's just pretend this section never happened.

Words of 2018

Focus & Mindfulness.

A lot of people in the bullet journaling and planning groups I am apart of have been talking a lot about their words for 2018, so I sat down to think about what my words of 2018 would be. I knew I wanted to spend 2018 living more intentionally and achieving every goal I put in front of myself, so Focus & Mindfulness are my words for 2018.

I have already started writing down 100 ways I will be more mindful in 2018 (I think I am at No. 20 so far) and will post that later in the month. It includes cutting out multitasking so I can focus on the tasks at hand and walking Theo every day before I start working so I can clear my head and exercise every day.

•••

Have you made any resolutions for 2018? Do you love or hate them?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top